July 14, 2012

Garden Panzanella Salad


Hey Y'All! :}

So, you may have noticed that I've been MIA for a few weeks, {and maybe you are too tied up in your own summer that you haven't} but listen, I can explain.....Texas was a callin' me. There must of been a logical reason that I would choose to go to a 100 degree state with like 100% humidity in July, RIGHT?!

Well there was, so you can call off the sanity check. Two of the most gregarious, delightful, entertaining children of all time live there and belong to me as nephews. AND, my most favorite sister in law east of California just so happens to be their mommy so I got to relish in a week of their presence along with the bundles of joy {yes, plural!} she is keeping warm & expecting for arrival in the fall. As the unexpecting and still energetic one, it was my sisterly duty to affirm a constant supply of brownie sundaes, giggling children and the tug-of-war battle between the playroom and a toddler.

Now that I am back in my home state and finally functioning again {it's amazing how you really do need a vacation after a vacation...life takes an eternity to get back to normal!}, I've trekked back into my abundant garden and stumbled upon all sorts of farm fresh treasures; lemon cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, zucchini, green beans, peppers and oh so much more! 

I decided in honor of my veggie lovin' sister-in-law, I would make a beautiful Florence style Panzanella salad.  I'm sure this tomato, bread and basil beauty will shoot her pregnancy cravings on overdrive, but hopefully she isn't too bummed that I'm not there to make it for her ;)

Technically, a Panzanella salad is made with stale bread, tomatoes and oil & vinegar, but of course, leave it to a splendid kitchen to create this lovely variation.  You may also use just about any vegetable you love or have growing in your own garden.  Flawless as is and perfect for a side dish or a simple entree but I will share my son's tip upon first bite...."needs bacon", lol! He is so brilliant!


Have a Splendid Day!
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Ingredients for Garden Panzanella Salad
by Splendor in the Kitchen

3 Small Lemon Cucumbers, peeled and chopped in 1/2" pieces
1 Medium sized Zucchini, sliced in 1/2" pieces
1 Heirloom Tomato, chopped in 1/2 " pieces
8-10 Kalamata Olives, pitted and sliced lengthwise
2 Peppadew Peppers, drained and sliced thinly
1/4 Cup Fresh Basil, loosely packed
2 Tbsp Shaved Parmesan Cheese
2 Slices Good Quality Sourdough Bread, sliced 1" thick
Extra Virgin Olive Oil {approx 4-5 Tbsp}
Blood Orange Vinegar, to taste {you can substitute balsamic or red wine}
Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste


Directions

Heat indoor grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high heat. 

Lightly brush zucchini slices and bread slices with olive oil on both sides.  Cook on grill just until you have grill marks on each side and zucchini is crisp but tender in the center and bread is crisp. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cooled down, cut into 1/2' pieces.

Assemble the salad by adding cucumbers, zucchini, tomato, olives, peppers and bread to a bowl. Stack all basil leaves in a pile, roll and slice thinly.  Add basil and cheese.  Give the salad a sprinkle of salt and a very generous portion of freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir salad, then add a small amount of vinegar {about 1 teaspoon to begin with} and 2-3 Tbsp olive oil.  Adjust according to your likely.

Refrigerate at least 20 minutes prior to serving.

Serves 2-4 as a side dish.








No comments:

Post a Comment